Tuesday , 12 December 2017
Latest News

Monthly Archives: January 2016

DP World to invest in Russia

DP World pulled out of VSC terminal in 2012

Dubai-headquartered terminal operator DP World has announced that it is launching a new joint venture (JV) with state-owned Russian investment fund to upgrade ports and logistics infrastructure in Russia. The JV, in which the operator will own an 80% shareholding and Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) the remaining 20%, will be called DP World Russia. DP World claimed in a statement that ... Read More »

Evergreen’s founder dies at 88

Evergreen Group’s founder Chang Yung-fa has died at the age of 88 in Taipei, Taiwan at 11.05am local time on January 20, 2016. Local reports said Chang was admitted to National Taiwan University Hospital suffering from cardiopulmonary failure in December 2015 and was put on life support, Taiwan news channel Focus Taiwan claimed. Chang, who was born in 1927 in ... Read More »

Ports America pulls out of Oakland terminal

Ports America has pulled out of Oakland

Ports America has announced that it will terminate its lease on Oakland’s Outer Harbour Terminal within 60 days. In a statement, Ports America said its decision is a result of a change in its West Coast strategy whereby it will invest in existing terminals and expand services into new terminals in Los Angeles, Long Beach, the Pacific Northwest and western ... Read More »

Terminal operators criticise “absent” container weighing guidelines

A leading body representing Europe’s container terminal operators has called for national authorities to develop guidelines on container weighing, attacking the current “lack of information and harmonisation”. The Federation of European Private Port Operators (FEPORT) stated that such guidelines should protect the efficiency of logistics chains and not “create competitive distortions” between member states. Jasper Nagtegaal, chairman of the customs ... Read More »

Greece declares COSCO preferred investor for Piraeus

COSCO already operates six deepwater berths in Piraeus

Greece’s state privatisation agency Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) has announced that it decided to declare COSCO as the preferred investor for a 67% stake in in Piraeus Port Authority (PPA) following the company’s submission of an improved offer of EUR 368.5m (US$401m). The improved offer of €22 (US$24) per share is part of a €1.5bn (US$1.6bn) agreement, which includes the implementation ... Read More »

US$0.5bn for Jawaharlal Nehru Port to improve road access

Jawaharlal Nehru Port handled 4.48m teu in 2015

Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) has begun the financing process for its INR32bn (US$473m) project to enhance the port’s surrounding roads to meet traffic demand and mitigate long-running congestion issues. JNPT has identified the widening of existing national highways, NH-4B and NH-348A (old SH¬54 and Amra Marg), which help to connect India’s largest port to Navi Mumbai. The trust has ... Read More »

Conference cancelled due to Tanzania Port Authority’s sackings

The Port Management Association of Eastern and Southern Africa (PMAESA) has cancelled its annual conference set to take place in Tanzania in February 2016 following the country’s newly elected President’s decision to sack top figures of Tanzania Ports Authority (TPA). The conference, which was to be hosted by TPA and PMAESA in Dar es Salaam on February 15-17, 2016, was ... Read More »

ZPMC launches US service operation

Chinese state-owned crane manufacturer ZPMC has launched its own service operation in the United States, specialising in port cranes. The organisation, which will be known as ZPMC Crane Services, will concentrate on the East and Gulf  coasts of the USA. It will be responsible for ZPMC crane offloading, assembly, warranty work and support. In addition, it will be available to ... Read More »

ICTSI’s Matadi terminal set to open in August

The terminal will open in August

ICTSI has announced that its new US$100m terminal in Matadi is on schedule to open in August 2016. Matadi is the Democratic Republic of Congo’s chief sea port, situated 8 km from the last navigable point of the Congo River. The port serves an extensive hinterland including Kinshasa, which has a population of 11.5m and is the largest city in ... Read More »