Saturday , 21 July 2018
Latest News

Author Archives: Emmanuel Mair

Puerto Lirquen upgrades to Navis N4

Puerto Lirquen in Chile has successfully completed a terminal system upgrade to Navis N4, following its sister company Puerto Central. The implementation took less than eight months with zero downtime or system errors. The port had been using an outdated system which was having a negative effect on terminal services. Puerto Lirquen hope that using Navis to deliver efficient terminal ... Read More »

Terminal Portuario Guayaquil inaugurates operations

TPG's main container cargo includes bananas, shrimp, cocoa and retail  imports

Terminal Portuario Guayaquil (TPG) has inaugurated new US$60m works to double its transfer capacity. The port which is operated by SAAM has begun operations to extend the berth, add support areas and offer a system for transferring bulk products and modern equipment including the largest ship-to-shore (STS) cranes in Ecuador. The extended berth is part of an upgrade plan that ... Read More »

DP World and Kazakhstan collaborate on port community system

The signing was made at the Astana Economic Forum

DP World and the Kazakhstan government are set to build a port community system (PSC) to enable a Eurasian transcontinental trade corridor. PSC, an electronic platform developed by DP World company Dubai Trade will allow airtime, maritime and inland organisations to exchange information. The multimodal transport corridor aims to reduce delays, queues and duplication in Kazakhstan’s ports through paperless transactions. ... Read More »

Spain’s ports paralysed by 48 hour strike

Spanish ports have been hit with a 48 hour non-stop strike causing huge disruption for all 39 of their cargo ports. The strike began on Wednesday June 14, at 0800 and is the first non-stop strike to hit Spanish ports this year.  Up until now strikes taken place on alternate days for periods of one hour. The non-stop strike has ... Read More »

CMA CGM to acquire Mercosul Line

Maersk Line will lose Mercosul to gain Aliança

CMA CGM has agreed to acquire Brazilian cabotage carrier Mercosul Line from Maersk Line, which made the sale to comply with competition authorities over its acquisition of Hamburg Süd. A statement from the carriers noted that the sale would enable CMA CGM to strengthen its service offering to and from South America, most notably in Brazil and especially on cabotage ... Read More »

COSCO Shipping Ports takes majority stake in Noatum Ports

Noatum Ports' assets include Noatum Container Terminal Valencia (NCTV)

COSCO Shipping Ports has agreed to purchase a 51% stake in Noatum Ports for €203m (US$227m), with Ocean Alliance cargo already beginning to switch to its terminals in Valencia and Bilbao. Once the deal is completed, current majority shareholder TPIH Iberia will hold the remaining 49% stake. Major assets of Noatum Ports include Noatum Container Terminal Valencia (NCTV), Noatum Container ... Read More »

Gävle Container Terminal expansion approved

The future new container quay at the terminal

The SEK200m (US$23m) project to expand Yilport Gävle Container Terminal has been approved by a unanimous municipal executive board in Gävle. The cost covers the expansion and reinforcement of the recently built just east of the terminal. The plan is to start construction works this autumn so that the quay will be ready for use in the summer of 2019. ... Read More »

Kuehne + Nagel updates carbon management programme

Kuehne + Nagel has begun publishing CO2 emission data from each shipment to help shippers identify their carbon footprints. The company will use its online Global Seafreight Carbon Calculator to provide instant overviews of CO2, SOX and NOX emissions for full container load (FCL) and less than container load (LCL) movements from door to door, and print the results on ... Read More »

Qatar shipments suspended as Gulf tensions rise

Ocean Alliance members amongst others have suspended calls in Qatar

Multiple shipping lines have suspended services calling to and from Qatar following the severance of diplomatic ties with the Arab state by Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt, Bahrain and Yemen. DP World’s hub Jebel Ali and Abu Dhabi Terminals are no longer accepting cargo to and from Qatar ports including transhipment cargo. A customer notice from Maersk Line stated that ... Read More »

New cranes for Port Everglades

Florida’s Port Everglades has confirmed the US$41.1m purchase of three Super post-Panamax container gantry cranes in preparation for the facility’s multi-million dollar extension. The new cranes are worth US$13.8m each and unlike the port’s seven existing gantry cranes, which can handle containers stacked five high and 16 across on a ship’s deck, they will able to handle stacks up to ... Read More »