Seven year expansion programme for South Africa’s ports

Seven year expansion programme for South Africa’s ports

The investment falls within the Transnet Market Demand Strategy (MDS) recently announced by State President Jacob Zuma and in total Transnet will spend R300bn (US$39.1bn) in port and rail capital projects up to 2018/19.

The bulk of TPT’s spend – 71% of the R33 billion seven year investment pipeline – will be focused on expansion projects and creating capacity to meet projected demand, while the remaining 29% will include the replacement and refurbishment of existing equipment.

Some of the major capacity creating projects to be embarked on by TPT will include:

• expanding Durban Container Terminal Pier 1 to increase from 700,000 to 820.000 teu by next year and to 1.2m teu 2016/17

• expanding North quay on Pier 2 which will help increase capacity from 2.1m teu in 2011/12 to 2.5m teu by 2013/14 and 3.3m teu by 2017/18

• creating container capacity in other terminals such as the Durban Ro-Ro and Maydon Wharf Terminal through the acquisition of new equipment, such as mobile cranes, and various infrastructure upgrades.

• expanding Ngqura Container Terminal, which has been earmarked as a transhipment hub from 800,000 to 2m teu by 2018/19 to meet anticipated volumes.

CEO Karl Socikwa said, “These investments will continue to provide a springboard for growth. We will implement specific initiatives to grow volumes and use capacity as it comes on stream, while improving operational efficiencies and growing personnel, thus ensuring the success of the Market Demand Strategy.”