The Turkish terminal operator Yilport has added the Gävle Container Terminal (GCT) in Sweden to its portfolio, having acquired an 80% stake in the country’s second largest container terminal after Gothenburg. The remaining 20% shares are held by the Gävle Municipality.
The move removes the recent uncertainty over the ownership of the Swedish company. Yilport, which has plans to upgrade the container terminal equipment and terminal operating system (TOS), commented that the facility is of “strategic value” and plans to expand its activities through increased integration with the dry and liquid bulk terminals in Gävle Hamn port.
The Turkish operator has said that GCT will be a “key terminal” in its global network and indicated that it is looking at other ‘satellite port’ opportunities to create a corridor in the Baltic region, with GCT at the centre of activity between East and West.