Tuesday , 16 October 2018
Latest News

Monthly Archives: November 2015

Report finds US ports best at social media

Spire social media report

A report by data company Spire has found that US ports are the most effective users of social media. Of the top ten most social ports, five were from the USA, with Long Beach and Los Angeles first and second respectively. The report found that Facebook is the preferred social media network among ports with about half of the world’s ... Read More »

Panama Canal expansion: Too little, too late?

Leaks in the locks have hindered the expansion of the Panama Canal

As delegates gathered in Panama City for the TOC Americas show, the Panama Canal was naturally the centre of attention and the subject of many urgent questions. Will it be ready on time? Will it be big enough? Which ports will benefit? The conference opened with a speech from Jorge Quijano, the boss of the Panama Canal Authority (ACP), who ... Read More »

Brodosplit to build four LNG container ships

The ships will be built at the Brodosplit shipyard

The Croatian Brodosplit shipyard has started work on four LNG-powered 2,000 teu container ships for Brodosplit Navigation. This order is an upgrade on an October 2013 order for two 1,431 teu vessels. The ships will be aimed at the charter market and the company has not disclosed whether an operator has already been found for the ships. The first LNG-powered ... Read More »

Thermo King launches genset telematics solution

Reefer manufacturer Thermo King launched TracKing, its new genset telematics solution, at Intermodal Europe in November 2015. The new GPRS-based marine product offering collects a range of data on categories including fuel efficiency, asset utilisation and location, then providing this information to shippers round the clock. According to Thermo King, this data can enable shippers to ensure problem-free genset operation, ... Read More »

Mitsui-Soko set to acquire Naha

Naha is situated in an ideal transhipment location

Japanese logistics company Mitsui-Soko is close to a deal to buy Naha International Contianer Terminal (NICTI). An agreement is expected to be reach some time in November 2015, according to media reports. In April 2015, ICTSI sold its 60% stake in NICTI back to the company for US$856,000. The remaining 40% is owned by six local harbour transportation companies. The 10-year ... Read More »

Canadian Pacific bids for Norfolk Southern

The Canadian Pacific (CP) Railway has proposed a takeover of the Norfolk Southern (NS) Railway. On November 17, 2015, CP publicly released a letter to NS CEO James Squire which had been written on November 9, 2015 and provided details of the takeover proposal. CP railway’s network stretches from coast to coast in Canada and also includes much of North-East ... Read More »

China raids shipping line offices in Shanghai

China’s National Development and Reform Committee (NDRC) have conducted a raid on several major container shipping lines’ offices in Shanghai. Investigators are examining emails and documents to determine whether lines have been charging excessive and unfair surcharges and fees. In September 2015, the Chinese government said that lines had been charging too much for things like bills of lading custody ... Read More »

DP World report criticises pace of African infrastructure investment

Africa's major ports must be better linked to their hinterlands

DP World has published a report which calls for more investment in both ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ infrastructure in Sub-Saharan Africa. According to the World Economic Forum’s 2015 survey of investors, “inadequate supply of infrastructure” was considered the third biggest obstacle to doing business in Africa, after “access to finance” and “corruption”. DP World’s report, which was prepared by the Economist ... Read More »

Cavotec receives US$10m orders

Cavotec receives orders for a total of US$9.64m

Engineering group Cavotec has announced that it won five separate port equipment orders with a combined value of more than €9m (US$9.64m) for ports in India, Oman and China. The orders were for products including the company’s MoorMasterTM automated mooring system, the new Automatic Plug-in System (APS) units for installation on 16 electric rubber-tyred gantry (ERTG) cranes, six Alternative Maritime ... Read More »