Tuesday , 16 October 2018
Latest News

Monthly Archives: May 2016

PSA launches new venture capital arm

PSA International has announced the inception of PSA unboXed, its new corporate venture capital arm with an initial fund size of SG$20m (US$15m). The idea is to invest in and nurture start-ups to create logistics solutions fusing information and communications technology as well as engineering and transaction solutions for maritime trade and finance. The technology side may feature concepts related ... Read More »

Cuypers Vorkliften orders Terex reachstackers

Cuypers said it had been impressed by the reachstackers

Belgian lift truck rental company Cuypers Vorkliften has ordered six Terex reachstackers. The Liftace 5-31 reachstackers will be delivered in June and July 2016. The company already operates one similar machine, which it received in April 2015. Lieven Van Hoylandt, managing director of Cuypers, said: “Vehicles like ours, which are used in the rental business, must be particularly robust and ... Read More »

DP World Chennai upgrades road to tackle congestion

DP-World operated Chennai Container Terminal has upgraded one of its access roads from a dirt track to a tar-covered road. The road which leads to the terminal’s North Gate, through the ‘iron ore area’ has been improved to enable the smooth movement of trucks to and from the terminal. The operator said in a statement: “We are confident that this ... Read More »

Liverpool2 receives six ZPMC cranes

The cranes are the first six of the 12 needed for Phase 1

Peel Ports’ Liverpool2 terminal has received six of the 22 cantilever rail-mounted gantry (CRMG) cranes required at its completion. The deep-water terminal, which was originally set to open in December 2015, received the first six of the 12 CRMG cranes needed for the first phase of its £300m (US$433m) development project from Chinese equipment manufacturer ZPMC. As part of a ... Read More »

Adani reports 26% rise in profit

Indian terminal operator Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) has recorded a 26% increase in its pre-tax profit in the 2015/2016 fiscal year. The company’s consolidated profit before tax rose to 3,157 crore (US$474m) in the fiscal year ended on March 31, 2016, up from 2,501 crore (US$376m) in the previous fiscal year. Consolidated container volumes went up by ... Read More »

APMT Izmir close to completion

APMT Izmir will serve Istanbul and southern Turkey

APM Terminals has held a flag-raising ceremony to celebrate the near-completion of its terminal in Izmir. The 1.3m teu capacity container terminal will be able to handle 16,000 teu vessels and will serve Istanbul and southern Turkey. Managing director Mogens Larsen told employees: “It has now been more than two and a half years since we started on this project. ... Read More »

Kalmar receives its largest ever crane upgrade order

Finnish manufacturer Kalmar has received its largest order for crane upgrade to date from the Pelabuhan Tanjung Pelepas Sdn Bhd (PTP) terminal at the Port of Tanjung Pelepas, Malaysia. The upgrade project, which is worth a total of over €20m (US$), includes increasing the safe working load from 50 to 61 tonnes of seven ship-to-shore (STS) cranes, as well as ... Read More »

Investment bank predicts end of overcapacity

Maersk Line has managed to avoid making a loss

An investment bank’s equity analyst has speculated that overcapacity in the container shipping industry may be eliminated by mergers, acquisitions and alliance changes. With the announcement of the new Ocean Alliance, merger talks between Hapag-Lloyd and UASC and the increasing chances of a merger between Hanjin and Hyundai Merchant Marine, the market share of the biggest carriers may increase. If ... Read More »

Yilport cements control of Port of Gävle

Yilport now owns 100% of GCT’s shares

Turkish terminal operator Yilport Holding has gained full control of Gävle’s terminals. The company has bought the 20% of shares it did not already own in the 300,000 teu GCT. The other 80% were purchased in 2014. On top of this, the company has bought Baltic Sea Gateway AB, which operates six terminals at the port, and was formerly owned ... Read More »