Friday , 24 January 2020
Latest News

Monthly Archives: December 2016

DP World opens logistics centre in Peru

The company plans to open more logistics centres across the country

Dubai-headquartered port operator DP World has opened a new smart logistics centre in Lurin, Peru, connected by optical fibres to its terminal at the Port of Callao. The centre is expected to deliver information to the port and customs to allow customers to manage the movement of their cargo through the use of electronic devices and smartphones. According to Ahmed ... Read More »

Konecranes to divest from STAHL

Konecranes has signed an agreement with McKinnon Corporation regarding the divestment of its STAHL CraneSystems business, a condition of the European Commission (EC)’s approval of the pending acquisition of Terex’s MHPS segment. The Finnish equipment manufacturer and Terex are not allowed to close the MHPS acquisition until the EC approves the buyer of the STAHL CraneSystems business. The divestment, which ... Read More »

Korea Line pulls out of Long Beach terminal bid

MSC already holds a 46% stake

South Korean bulk carrier Korea Line’s parent company SM Group has pulled out of the bidding process for the purchase of Hanjin shipping’s 54% stake in a container terminal in Long Beach, California, local media reported. According to sources cited by South Korean news agency Yonhap, Korea Line decided to withdraw its bid after struggling to raise funds. The two ... Read More »

Paranaguá Container Terminal upgrades to Navis N4

TCP is increasing its capacity to 2.5m teu

Paranaguá Container Terminal (TCP), has implemented the N4 terminal operating system (TOS) from Navis, with the investment costing R$25m (US$7.3m). The migration to the new system is due to the evolution of the infrastructure and processes of the Brazilian facility, where capacity is scheduled to increase from 1.5m teu to 2.5m teu by 2018. Alexandre Rubio Teixeira Pinto, chief finance ... Read More »

US freight infrastructure investments needed to meet demand

The American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) has claimed that improvements to critical freight infrastructure have not kept pace with current and future demands. In a jointly released report, the AAPA and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) argued that while states are making progress, there is a significant potential backlog in investment within the country. ... Read More »

Kalmar receives first order for new empty container handlers

WienCont's capacity is set to grow over the next few years

Equipment manufacturer Kalmar has received the first order for its recently launched range of empty container handlers from the Port of Vienna’s WienCont Container Terminal. The order for three new twin lift capability units of Kalmar’s DCG80-100 empty container handler range, which was launched in November this year, is expected to be delivered in April 2017. The port’s subsidiary WienCont ... Read More »

Drewry: cargo ship operating cost to rise

The cost of operating cargo ships is expected to increase in 2017 and beyond, shipping consultancy Drewry has claimed. In its Ship Operating Costs Annual Review and Forecast 2016/17 report, the analyst argued that while the cost of operating cargo vessels fell for two consecutive years, the room for additional significant cost reductions is limited. According to Drewry, the average ... Read More »

Former Chennai Port Trust chairman jailed

The former chairman of Chennai Port Trust, K. Suresh, has been sentenced for two years imprisonment by a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in India court over corruption charges. Suresh illegally obtained sponsorship for his son’s admission to a degree course in civil engineering, noted a statement from the CBI. He obtained the fee, which was valued at Rs 12 ... Read More »

DP World partners with pension fund to form US$3.7bn investment platform

CDPQ will take a 45% share of two of DP World's Canadian terminals

DP World has teamed up with Canadian pension fund, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) to create a US$3.7bn platform for port investments. DP World holds a 55% share while CDPQ has the remaining 45% of the platform which will invest in ports and terminals globally (excluding the UAE) across the life cycle of the asset, with a ... Read More »